Thursday, March 18, 2010

IEP Goals: Are your child's being met?

In the final stages of the qualification process, your child's individual education program (IEP) goals will be written and then set in stone for an upcoming year. It will be reassessed one year later, and ideally, it will be tracked and upheld by special education teachers, general education teachers, and other professionals.

Unfortunately, IEP goals are typically created by an individual on the special education team. It is ideal as a parent to be a part of that process, and ensure that goals are rigorous for your child.

But, this post is not about IEP goal creation. This post is focused on whether or not your child's IEP goals are being met at their schools. Teachers and school professionals are legally required to address all goals.

As a classroom teacher who services students with IEPs, I was given my students' IEP goals at the beginning of the year. It was handed to me in a haphazard way, and I honestly stuck it in a drawer and somewhat forgot about it. Then, I was organizing my file cabinet a few weeks later, and I found the IEP goals for a particular student. I realized how important it was to review and spend more time with this resource, yet I didn't really know what to do with it. I cannot go into details about the specific IEP goals (confidential). I have never examined these IEP goals with my new special education teacher, and I have never spoken to anyone on the IEP team about these goals. I have been left to my own devices to meet my students' IEP goals. Sadly, it hasn't gone much further than that. Even after reviewing the IEP goals, I am making accommodations to service their needs based on glancing at the IEP a few times, and no one is holding me accountable at my school.

Check out this awesome Q&A about IEPs, specifically if your child's school is not meeting or following the IEP.
http://www.ldonline.org/questions/iep

Please share your comments and thoughts about whether or not your child's IEP goals are being met. Or, if you are a teacher or school professional, share your experience with IEP goals and their execution in today's schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment